I selected this post to be featured on Book Review Blogs. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!This past Friday, I was just hopping along the blogsphere reading the answers to the various blog hop questions for that day.
And to my dismay, I discovered just how many people haven't read Delirium by Lauren Oliver (yet).
I suppose this really struck me, because I loved Delirium. I can't even tell you how much I loved it, because there's just no way to describe it. Regardless, I'm going to attempt to do this.
I'm going to step out on a limb here and say this: Delirium was by far the best book I read in 2011 (and yes, I did read Divergent by Veronica Roth. No contest, in my humble opinion). I'm also aware that people are going to disagree with me on that, and that there are people who didn't enjoy it as much as I did. That's okay- I actually bought it as a birthday present for a good friend of mine and she did not share my enthusiasm for Delirium.
But for those of you who HAVEN'T read it yet... well, I'm writing this for you. I really want to encourage you to pick it up and give it a try, and then come back and tell me what you thougt of it. Comment on my blog, e-mail me, find me on Twitter... I don't care! I really want to hear how you felt about it. (And for those of you who have read it, I want to hear your thoughts as well! Positive and negative!) Plus, I want all of you to join with me in the agony that is anxiously awaiting Pandemonium's release. I would do ANYTHING, absolutely ANYTHING to time travel to the future just to read it. Seriously. That's how much I adore this series/book.
So, just stick with me here for a minute. And allow me to try and persuade you to read Delirium:
- The very premise of this book terrifies me. A world where love is a disease to be destroyed? Um, that's scary. Really scary. Scarier-than-vampires scary. Because I CAN see how people could view love as a weakness.
- Lauren Oliver's writing is brilliant. If you've read any of her other books, you know this. I've only read Delirium, but believe me, I have plans to read the rest of her works as well.
- I cried after reading Delirium. No, scratch that. I SOBBED. I had to text my boyfriend to make sure he still loved me, I was so heartbroken. Then he asked why I was upset, and I had to explain that I had just finished the most beautiful, most incredible book. He didn't get it, but he supported me anyways <3 (he isn't a reader like I am).
- If Alex wasn't so madly in love with Lena, I'd steal him away. He's just so brave and gentle, all at once, and completely swoonworthy.
- Did I mention the action yet? There are some INTENSE scenes in this book, and I can't wait to see how all the mysteries and secrets unravel in the rest of the trilogy.
- Do you have any idea how badly I want to read Pandemonium? If you've read Delirium, then I bet you do, because you're probably in the same boat as me! March 2012 simply CANNOT come soon enough! There are so many things I'm looking forward to, and although I was wary of the description at first after I read Lauren Oliver's blog post on Pandemonium I felt more relaxed and assured that I'm going to love Pandemonium just as much (if not more) as Delirium. You should absolutely go pre-order this item (or maybe start with Delirium first...) But warning: once you pick up Delirium, you will be hooked. Plus, look at how pretty the cover is:
So, have I convinced you to at least give it a try now? I normally don't go for the whole "Romeo and Juliet" vibe in a book, but this one surprised me. I actually bought it for my Kindle, and then I just ordered the new special edition hardcover just because it's so pretty and I like to have books I love sitting on my shelf so I can lend them out to people. And yes- I do already have a lineup of friends waiting to borrow my copy. So unfortunatley, no, you cannot borrow my copy.
BUT! Never fear! I loved this book so much that I want to share some of the love with YOU. I'm going to giveaway Delirium to some wonderful readers and commenters. But this is going to be a very different giveaway from my usual ones:
- Regular rules apply- check out my contest policy for those.
- It's international (as long as The Book Depository ships to you)
- You don't have to be a follower (but I love new followers too!)
- It isn't random- I'm going to be carefully selecting who wins a copy of Delirium. Your entry is a comment. That's all. Just comment and tell me why you want to read this book, and what you're excited for about this series. Leave me your name/alias and an e-mail so I can contact you. And since it isn't random, you better give me good reasons to impress me ;) CONVINCE ME TO BUY YOU THIS BOOK! Or just talk to me about it :) I enjoy that as well!
- I don't know how many people are going to win copies yet. It might be one, it might be two, it could be three... we'll see once I start reading your comments (and see what my bank account allows!)
- Contest will end at 12:01 a.m. on September 13th when I will announce the winners.